Concerns of Hand Sanitizers
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the consumption of hand sanitizers has increased as it is well known that these products kill the virus due to their alcohol content. On the other hand, poison centers worldwide began to receive calls about unintentional hand sanitizer exposures in childrenespecially those 5 years and younger as some of these products come with a very nice smell and flavor making them very tempting to be swallowed.Many hand sanitizers have 60% to 95% alcohol or rubbing alcohol (ethyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol) resulting in alcohol intoxication if young children swallow it even in trace amounts. Symptoms may include:
- Low blood sugar
- Seizures and coma
- And it could be fatal if large concentrated amount is ingested
- When buying hand sanitizer make sure it has a label with ingredients and concentrations.
- Always keep hand sanitizers out of the reach of children along with other alcohol containing products such as perfumes and aftershave products.
- Supervise your young children on how to use hand sanitizers properly.
- Call your nearest poison center if you suspect any ingestion by your child even in trace amounts.
Be prepared for any poison emergency:
Save the Nearest Poison Center number on your mobile phone and display it somewhere visible in your home in case of any poisoning emergency, or if you have questions